Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Social Emotional Wellness and Supports

Social-Emotional Resources for Families Available throughout the District

There are approximately 16 million children diagnosed with mental health disorders, behavior problems, anxiety, or depression–and 38% have experienced more than one type of traumatic event, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Furthermore, societal pressures and environmental factors present challenges in the overall well-being of young people. Students and families may experience a time where social and emotional support is warranted. Dinuba Unified School District has services throughout the district offered by trained staff at various school sites that can provide the appropriate supportive services.

Tips for Keeping Your Child Safe

Know the Warning Signs

*If you see a warning sign, seek help immediately*​

  • ​Threats or comments about killing themselves such as “I wish I were dead” and “I won’t be around to deal with this much longer.”
  • Increase in risky behavior
  • Aggressive behavior
  • Social withdrawal
  • Saying goodbye to family or friends
  • Giving away prized possessions
  • Dramatic mood swings
  • Talking, writing, posts on social media or thinking about death.
  • *It is important to remember the signs and risk factors listed are generalities. Not all students who contemplate or die by suicide will exhibit these kinds of symptoms AND not all students who exhibit these behaviors are suicidal* 

What Can I Do To Keep My Child Safe?

  • Ask: Do not be afraid to talk to your kids about suicide and mental health.
  • Actively listen: “help me understand what life is like for you right now.”
  • Take signs seriously: If you are seeing warning signs and risk factors, respond immediately.
  • Limit access: Restricting access to lethal means, especially access to firearms, prescription drugs, and medications is important in the prevention of youth suicide.
  • Do not leave your child alone: Surround yourself with a support network of friends and family that can step in and help as needed.
  • Reach out: Contact the school or mental health professionals if you are concerned about your child.​

Did You Know?​​​​

  • ​Dinuba Unified schools (TK-12) have the following school support services available throughout the district that are provided by Psychologists, Educational Social Workers, Restorative Practice Counselors, School Counselors and School Nurses.  
  • Dinuba Unified has 5 School Psychologists who are available throughout the district to support students from ages 3-22. They conduct psychoeducational assessments and provide mental health services, crisis response intervention, as well as academic, behavioral, and social-emotional guidance.
  • School Counselors provide services at all elementary, middle, and high school sites. They provide academic, career, and social-emotional counseling to students.
  • Campus Life Mentoring provides male students the opportunity to connect with a mentor. 
  • School sites often contract with local community agencies to provide ongoing and accessible mental health services to students onsite.
  • Other school site supports from the school district may include the Learning Guidance and Student Support Center, Tier II Interventions, and Behavior Intervention Assistants.

Community Resources

Dinuba Children's Services
Address: 144 South L Street Dinuba, Ca 93618
Phone: 559-591-6680
After-Hours Crisis: 1(800) 320-1616   

Dinuba Police Department
Address: 680 S. Alta Dinuba, Ca 93618
Phone: 559-591-5911  

Tulare Youth Service Bureau, Inc
Address: 327 S. K St. Tulare, Ca 93274
Phone: 559-688-2043  

Tulare County Warm Line
Phone Number: 1-877-306-2413  

Tulare County Crisis Hotline
Phone Number: 1-800-320-1616  

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Phone Number: 9-8-8
People can use 9-8-8 if they are having thoughts of suicide, mental health or substance use crises, or any other kind of emotional distress. People can also dial 9-8-8 if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.