Phone: (559)595-7220 ext. 2201
Degrees and Certifications:
2009 Redwood High School diploma 2011 COS Associates in transfer studies 2014 CSU Fresno BS Environmental & Occupational Health & Safety
- pencil & eraser
- Science Notebook (must be brought to class every day)
- Loose-leaf paper
- Homework/Classwork (10%)
- Labs (20%)
- Science Notebook (10%)
- Quizzes (15%)
- Exams (25%)
- Projects & Presentations (10%)
- Final Exam (10%)
Assignment points worth will vary depending on the assignment.
Grades will be available in the PowerSchool Portal. Please check PowerSchool regularly, and feel free to ask me any questions you might have about a particular grade. I make mistakes, so this is your opportunity to make sure I’ve got everything correct! This can be done before or after school, during lunch, or via e-mail.
NOTICE: Late work will be entered in PowerSchool when I get to it. DO NOT repeatedly ask me to enter it as soon as you turn it in.
Rules & Expectations
- Be on-time, on-task, and prepared to learn EVERYDAY.
- Keep all personal electronics PUT AWAY. They will be taken and turned in to the office if they are out in class without permission.
- BE RESPONSIBLE for your own learning. Keep all graded work.
- RESPECT the teacher, the classroom, other students, and yourself.
- CLEAN UP after yourself and your peers.
*LATE WORK will receive half credit and is due no later than the day of the unit exam. All work, including missed labs, quizzes, writing assignments, etc., are due on the day of the exam and cannot be made up after a unit exam has been taken..
*EXTRA CREDIT POLICY: There are no extra credit opportunities provided.
*TEST/QUIZ RETAKE: Quiz retakes are permitted for a passing score (70%). Test retakes are not permitted.
*YES - WE DID SOMETHING IMPORTANT WHILE YOU WERE ABSENT. It is your responsibility to check in the “What did I miss?” bin on the side counter of the classroom the day you return to class to find out what you missed. You have within two days of the absence to complete any missed work. Ask your peers or myself for any clarifying questions about assignments.
*Any assignment you are absent for will be entered as a ZERO until it is turned in.
To plagiarize is defined as taking ideas and writings of another and passing them off as one’s own. Students caught plagiarizing will be given a ZERO for the assignment.
*The teacher will notify the administration and contact parents if cheating is suspected.
*The student will be given a failing grade for that particular test, quiz, or assignment.
*This syllabus is subject to change. *Sign attached form.
I, _______________________________________________________, have read and understand the rules and expectations for Integrated Science. I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to contact my teacher if I have any questions or concerns. I know that this syllabus, assignments, calendars, and resources are available to me on the Google Classroom website for my class period at any time. I know that printer/computer/flash drive issues are not an excuse for late assignments.
Student Print Name: _____________________________________________ Period: __________
Student Signature: _______________________________________________ Date: ____________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: _________________________________________ Date:___________________
Biology Syllabus: Mr. Skadan
Units: We study these units in this order. We are using an online book program but listed below are the chapters for a classroom resource book.
Unit 1: Science (chapter 1)
Unit 2: Ecology (chapters 2 - 5)
Unit 3: Cells (chapters 6 - 9)
Unit 4: DNA (chapters 11 & 13)
Fall Semester Final Exam (AKA “Midterm”)
Unit 5: Genetics & Heredity (chapters 10 & 12)
Unit 6: Microevolution (chapters 14 and 15)
Unit 7: PROJECT: Solutions to Global Environmental Problems
Unit 8: Physiology (chapters 34 - 38)
Viruses, Bacteria, & Disease (chapters 18 and 39)
Spring Semester Final Exam (Spring Material Only)
Standards: This class covers the Next Generation Science Standards for life science utilizing the Common Core Standards.
Expectations & Rules:
- Food, drinks (except water w/a lid), & gum are not allowed. You have technology out as well as lab materials.
- Be on time & seated when the bell rings. You get one (1) free tardy.
- Talk at the appropriate times and at the appropriate levels. When the late bell rings you are on MY TIME and my time ends when the bell rings again.
- Be respectful and mindful of yourself, others, classroom materials, and the teacher or substitute. Be prepared every day. There is NO FULL CREDIT FOR LATE WORK so plan your schedule accordingly. Set reminders on your devices. - Work will be accepted up to 1 week after the due date for a maximum of 50% credit. If I’m gone, email me a picture/screenshot of your completed assignment and hand it to me when I return. Remember, sometimes done is better than perfect.
- See me before/after school to ask specific questions about your grades. Class time is not the appropriate time.
- Keep all electronic equipment (phones, ipods, MP3’s, etc.) silenced & in their proper location. If devices become a problem in your class, the cell phone jail will be activated. You need to bring headphones/ear buds with you daily for use with your chrome books.
- Acceptable Use Policies – Please follow all guidelines for technology & its acceptable use as outlined in your agenda. If in doubt, you most likely should not be doing it, even if you haven’t been caught yet.
- You have 3 free restroom passes each semester. After that, you need to make up 5 minutes for each time you leave. If you choose not to make up your passes, points will be deducted from your participation grade and you will be assigned lunch detention. You need to sign out/in of class by the door.
Grades: Your grade is calculated according to the following categories and percentages.
30% Tests (7 tests/practical-lab exams/write-ups)
20% Quizzes/Quick Writes/Threaded Discussions (~40)
25% Labs/Projects (~30 – For both labs & projects, you will have
some that are individual and others that are done in groups)
10% Final Exam
10% Science Notebook (comp book), Classwork, Homework, &
5% Participation (You have a weekly participation grade as well as a lab/activity
- There will be approximately one quiz, lab, and/or Quick Write/Threaded Discussion per week.
- Homework (paper) will be turned in about once a week but reading the text (online) & studying vocabulary should be a regular evening activity. Online assignments & checkpoints may be checked daily.
- You will need to keep track of due dates as portions of our class are self-paced. Be ready to step outside of your comfort zone.
- Your agenda is a grade. You are responsible for checking the website or asking a neighbor if you are absent. Writing “absent” does not count. Stamps are extra credit that you get for doing your job.
- This is a Chromebook classroom. Almost everything you need will be accessible online on (or accessed from) our Google Classroom page. You can access our work on your smart phone as well.
Success: Achieved through studying, learning, using, and applying the vocabulary terms for each section of each chapter. Learn from the mistakes you make.
Please check the website if there are additional questions. It is your responsibility to get the work that you have missed (either from the website, from another student, or from the class/day slot)
Student Name (printed) & Signature:
______________________________________ Class Period: ____________
Parent Signature: (Please sign and date)